Thursday, August 2, 2012

Learning, and an invitation

Well, I haven't blogged in forever...and I was never very faithful at it to begin with...ha!  But here goes.    I have been taking an on-line art class that is way out of my comfort zone.  I've had fun smooshing paint around, meeting new people, and trying a new style...but guess what?  I am more comfortable being the "tight" artist that I consider myself.  Ha!  I desperately wanted to be loose and wild and emotional and edgy...I'm not.  I am Maggie.  And while I love that style of art, I like to make pretty things.  I was raised to draw things that look like things.  Part of me is very sad that I cannot do art the other way and then actually like what I make.  Maybe it is like anything new...practice makes you better.  Old habits die hard.  So I will continue to try this new style on occasion because it is awfully fun to smoosh paint around with my fingers and odd tools, and maybe by playing in this manner I will discover more about myself, and come up with some new ideas and techniques.  I had to laugh, because the other day my husband (who is mostly blind) came in saw my new tries and said, "I hate the new things you are making."  He said it nicely, honest.  He's not mean.  His opinion means a huge amount to me.  And I laughed out loud because I hate them too!  hahahah!  So not me!  But I tried something new.  I tried to grow, and I did!  I grew up enough to know what I like to do.

I'd also like to say, if you are still reading, to come to this site:  http://pamelajoypurses.ning.com/
It is a group of very welcoming and encouraging ladies that make things and share their talents.  And on every Wednesday evening (7:30 Central Time Zone), they give a delightfully fun and free online art/craft lesson.  Here is the link to the lesson room:  http://www.linqto.com/rooms/mixedmediaworkshop
If you can't make it, they record it so you can watch it when it is convenient for you.  If you can attend the live class, they have a giveaway, too!  So come on over!  It's fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment